[CentOS-devel] [CentOS-qa] 5.4 - i386 isos and tree

Douglas McClendon dmc.centos at filteredperception.org
Wed Oct 14 20:14:37 UTC 2009

Patrice Guay wrote:
> Douglas McClendon wrote:
>> Patrice Guay wrote:
>>>>
>>> For the persistence feature, I am looking for a set of patches that
>>> apply for the current livecd-tools package. I am currently comparing
>>> livecd-tools 015 and 014. Since the persistence feature was added in the
>>> 015 version, I will try to extract the required patches from the
>>> differences between both versions. Any help on this front would be
>>> appreciated.

Ok.  I'll take a look at the livecd-tools here-

https://projects.centos.org/trac/livecd/wiki/GetToolset

and at the fedora 14->15 diff, and see if I can't put something together
for you.

>> Also, if I could convince you to squeeze in another ~100kb package into
>> the LiveCD, it would allow an experimental 'rebootless installation' in
>> addition to the traditional and stable rebootful kind provided by anaconda.
>>

> The current CentOS LiveCD doesn't support installation from the live
> media. This feature requires a newer version of the anaconda package
> than the one provided by the CentOS 5 official tree (liveinst binary).
> Since CentOS is supporting its packages for 7 years, introducing a new
> version of a critial package such as anaconda and providing support for
> it would be unrealistic.
>
> However, I tested and documented the installation from a live media:
> https://projects.centos.org/trac/livecd/wiki/InstallToHardDrive
>
> Maybe this feature could be added to the 'unsupported' branch of the
> CentOS LiveCD project.

Makes sense.  Are there any plans to provide a download/torrent of such
a spin so users don't have to build it themselves?

-dmc