[CentOS-devel] Custom Packages for WebEnvironment

Marcus Moeller mail at marcus-moeller.de
Wed Sep 30 06:59:33 UTC 2009

Hi all.

I noticed Russ's recent comments on the Web Infrastructure page and
wanted to take it to the public instead of using the wiki for
communication:

http://wiki.centos.org/WebsiteVer2/WebEnvironment/Infrastructure?action=diff&rev2=2&rev1=1

There are a few challenges in a common infrastructure setup. We make
use of components that are not part of the 'official' CentOS
repositories atm. Most of them are web applications like Moin, phpBB,
Mailmann, etc. These have to be packed and made available, either in a
publicly accessible (preferred) or an internal repo. So maybe CentOS
Extras or even Contrib is a good place to hold these new packages.

Another advantage is the artwork and style setup. This could either be
included directly within the corresponding application packages or
packed separately.

As we are also replacing some configuration files of HTTP (e.g. error
messages) we may also have to re-pack this app. Having RPMs that
replace other RPMs configurations is not the preferred way, I guess.

Best Regards
Marcus