[CentOS-devel] are there any chances to see finished CentOS6 in 2011?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 14:31:24 UTC 2010

2010/12/26 R P Herrold <herrold at centos.org>:

> My last post here noted that Red Hat ran a four month beta
> program, AFTER their internal stabilization.  My blog post
> crossing 'planet.centos.org' made it clear that the CentOS
> team simply are not much driven to respond to 'popular demand'
> or press pressure, and more motivated to produce a durable
> product.  Before that my post here noted that it was unlikely
> that few oterh than hard core developers who enjoyed pain
> would ever be able to do a yum transition from 5 to 6, as 6 is
> rather radically different 'under the hood' as to SELinux
> model

Mind you, CentOS is not building a new OS from scratch. It's a
rebuild, so it's reasonable to assume that most of the painful work
has already been done.

That said, the subtle and unpredictable pains of SELinux and the
trade-offs of simply disabling it and spending your security time on
more gaping vulnerabilities, such as Subversion clients storing
passwords in clear-text and SSH keys without passphrases, has been the
subject of a lot of other threads.