[CentOS-devel] Why are Spacewalk packages removed from CentOS?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Thu Feb 4 21:18:38 UTC 2010

On 01/26/2010 09:04 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
> Given that to setup spacewalk in the first instance a user would need
> to make use of the non-client repo (possibly replicating it locally)
> and then create channels that sync from other upstream repos (or push
> own packages to them) to get proper functionality - ie the ability to
> view updated packages and push them out as required.... I honestly
> can't see much point in having the old RHEL5.X packages in Centos 5.X
> by default.

Miroslav made a good point in that much of this work is only needed
'spacewalk master' side and that including these packages on the client
distro would make things easier for new users to get onto the ladder. Is
that really not the case ?

At the moment, there are two arguments - however, the main issue at hand
is that does including these packages have any impact on the usability
of spacewalk as a management environment, to manage centos installed
machines.

- KB