[CentOS-devel] Why are Spacewalk packages removed from CentOS?

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 09:16:59 UTC 2010


That said however... the tools required are in the spacewalk repos and if
you are going to be using spacewalk you will want to use those repos due to
the heavy development and updates going on in them.... The spacewalk client
repo was missing the python-ethtool package until recently but that has been
rectified. If you are building centos systems it would be much better to use
the spacewalk-client repo for these (or a local mirror of it) to ease
troubleshooting the spacewalk systems whilst they are developed (not to
mention you will probably want the spacewalk client repo anyway for things
like spacewalk-koan, osad, etc).

James


2010/1/21 Miroslav Suchý <msuchy at redhat.com>

> Karanbir Singh wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 01/20/2010 03:59 PM, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> >> severals users of Spacewalk [1] reported that Spacewalk client tools are
> >> removed [2] from CentOS (they are present in RHEL).
> >
> > I am not sure about that - these are not really 'spacewalk' client tools
> > but are more along the lines of 'rhn tools'.
>
> Yes, they carry the heritage of rhn in their name and their original
> purpose was to connect to rhn.redhat.com (and RHN Satellite), but since
> open sourcing this product as Spacewalk project at 2008, these tools can
> be used to connect to Spacewalk.
>
> > They are removed since they have no real use in the CentOS environment -
> > and we not be a reason for people hitting rhn.r.c when they dont need to
> > or even should be doing so.
>
> They can be used to connect to Spacewalk, which is free upstream project
> of RHN Satellite, which is standalone version of rhn.redhat.com.
> Large part (if not majority) of Spacewalk users use CentOS and I'm
> pretty sure they will appreciate, if these tools will be present
> directly in CentoOS.
>
> > I think in the spacewalk context its easier to look at it from the point
> > of view that adding these packages does nothing for the spacewalk user,
> > since they are not the only things needed to make spacewalk environment.
> > So the user haseto already go and enable another repo somewhere, these
> > tools can come from there as well.
>
> I disagree. Majority of people will install only these packages. Yes -
> we have client repo which contains several other tools. But with these
> packages you can do most of the management (install/upgrade/remove
> package, do rollback, compare profiles, run scripts, reboot machines,
> reprovision them...).
> In fact even as developer of Spacewalk I rarely use other then those
> mentioned client packages.
>
> > However, if there is a real reason to add these back in I dont see why
> > that could not happen. I just dont see the reason at this time.
>
> I'm not sure if I convinced you, I'm just asking because Spacewalk users
> asks us-developers.
>
> --
> Miroslav Suchy
> Red Hat Satellite Engineering
> Cloud Computing and Integrated Solution Dept.
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS-devel mailing list
> CentOS-devel at centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos-devel
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/attachments/20100121/98a55d80/attachment.html 


More information about the CentOS-devel mailing list