[CentOS-devel] tracking ABI changes in C/C++ libraries

R P Herrold herrold at centos.org
Thu Jul 22 19:30:48 UTC 2010

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> I dont, and dont know anyone, using chroots hosted over nfs. That would
> be slightly counter productive! I guess it depends on how many and what
> kind of packages you are building.
>
> Eg. a couple of the centos builders run based off tmpfs hosted roots. No
> yum issues there

NFS locking, and delay, and clock skew issues on the NFS
servers vs. the build unit, make building in an NFS mount a
painful experience.  Adding chroot just makes what needs to be
a robust process more fragile

There is little percentage to nfs based build finesystems,
unless it is one's only choice ... and with the way ram prices
have moved in the last few years, tmpfs provides a clearly
better choice

-- Russ herrold