[CentOS-devel] Missing security updates

Charlie Brady charlieb-centos-devel at budge.apana.org.au
Thu Jul 22 20:26:04 UTC 2010

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> What exactly is "closed" about the process? Sausages from the
> @redhat.com factory arrive on lthe CentOS oading dock, are examined,
> tallied, listed, stamped, processed, and re-distributed. The entire
> process for CentOS release engineering is easily seen, been the same
> since forever.

Do you have any references for the "examined, tallied, listed, stamped"
part of these processes? I was unaware that there was any external
visibility on these internal CentOS processes. There's nothing here, for
instance:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4386

Is the information available elsewhere?

> There's nothing stopping anyone from grabbing the sausages in the
> "security release", building, installing, testing, and reporting
> "worksforme" to assist in expediting a "security release".

I'm not sure how that would help. We already know that Red Hat have built
and presumably tested these packages. If I say that I've built and tested
them, does that churn them through the CentOS process any quicker? Does
it add any assurance to the packages *as built by CentOS*?

---
Charlie