[CentOS-devel] LiveCD suggestion

Patrice Guay patrice.guay at nanotechnologies.qc.ca
Sun Jun 6 12:20:28 UTC 2010

Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>

>> As far as I have seen while being in #centos, most beginners' questions
>> (in the context of netinstall) were more or less similar to "what should
>> I put in the 'mirror' and 'path' fields ?". Can we patch anaconda so as
>> to prepopulate those two without overloading any particular mirrors
>> (maybe using somehow the output of mirrorlist ) ?
>
> For those cases http://mirror.centos.org/ now(!) should be enough, we
> give those ips out depending on which region you are in. Those in Asia,
> South America or Africa could have a slightly problematic user
> experience, though.
>
> I don't think mirrorlist can be used at that stage, as it clearly is
> asking that before network really is up, IIRC. But I may remember
> incorrectly

If I understand correctly, the 'mirror' and 'path' fields during network
installation could be prepopulated by patching the current CentOS
anaconda package. Then, a newly generated set of files used by the
netinstall and the LiveCD iso images [1] would automatically feature
those predefined fields.

Then, my question is: when are we going to see this updated anaconda and
network installation files?

[1]: http://isoredirect.centos.org/centos/5/os/i386/isolinux/

--
Patrice