[CentOS-devel] Awaiting C-5 Updates.

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Thu May 27 19:32:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 01:50:07PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Does that really mean that there is no automated way to track upstream
> updates and no way other than end-user reports long after the fact to
> know if they are missing?  End users that seldom have any indication of
> the status of update progress and get yelled at whenever they ask?

	I may have overlooked something in this thread but I don't
	recall seeing anyone being yelled at.  Besides, those reporting
	the issue today are hardly the run of the mill end user :)

	There are multiple ways of being alerted when there are new
	packages available from upstream, ranging from multiple mailing
	lists to keeping an eye on rsync output if mirroring Redhat;
	it's far-fetched to think that CentOS developers are not aware
	of what is pending.  Heck even I see update notifications from
	3 separate sources :)

	I've no idea why the updates have been slow coming down the
	pipe as I'm not a CentOS developer; however I'm sure that
	there are valid reasons.  But if an update or two *does* manage
	to slip through the cracks then opening a ticket *is* the
	appropriate way to handle it; it provides tracking and
	notification that the process, for whatever reason, failed this
	time around and provides incentive for it not to happen again.

	Besides all this.  If timely updates are critical then you can,
	as always, get a support entitlement from Redhat and use native
	packages.

							John
--
It has to be said, we must all own up that without Les Paul, generations of
flash little punks like us would be in jail or cleaning toilets.  This man,

-- Stones guitarist Keith Richards