[CentOS-devel] Reality V/s Fantasy

Douglas McClendon dmc.centos at filteredperception.org
Fri Nov 26 18:49:46 UTC 2010

On 11/26/2010 12:21 PM, Stefan Held wrote:
> Am Freitag, den 26.11.2010, 11:41 +0000 schrieb Karanbir Singh:
>
>> I am not sure where that came from - there is some level of fantasy that
>> some of you guys seem to live with. Lets take for example the request
>> for help with branding and trademark searches in the el6 source base.
>
> Karanbir, as this is a fairly new Process, not documented anywhere, how
> would you expect the masses to help you out?

+1, and to the rest of Stefan's reply.

Specifically, as an observer who has the interest, skillset, and time to
help, I considered this thread and the best answer I can come up with
for why I haven't been more motivated to try and help is-

A lack of a progress-bar.  Or number.  Or list in a wiki.  If I thought
I could 'go do something', and that work would translate in some
progress-meter jumping from 2345/5000 to 2346/5000, I think I'd be much
more likely to do it.

Another variant of that which would make the sense of contribution and
accomplishment be more visceral, might be a publicly visible repository
of just .el6.srpm's filling up, that theoretically I could build in the
process that has been documented on this list, but not so much AFAICS on
a centos6 wiki page (see Stefan's comments below about the still very
thin centos6 documentation via wiki).

Another element (and I could have missed something - if so the issue is
then prominence or obviousness -), is a lack of tangible examples for
the format that such work would be required to be in.  Yes, I can see
the filing of bugs, but filing of bugs doesn't give the sense of
satisfaction of the 2345->2346/5000 tick, or a new file appearing in a
directory, the end of the road of that population or progress-meter
being a new milestone of completeness of centos6.

Now sure, I could just accept as my motivation, reward, and process
letting some guru flag-holder, hold my hand, tell me what to do, and
then pat me on the back.  But that level of reward, especially with the
STFU attitude I'm seeing from the flag-holder, does not induce me to
contribute.

Give us a progressbar, and publically visible examples, and maybe
(seriously, maybe, I could be wrong), you might see more community
contribution.

I.e, I've wondered, and even looked but can't find, exactly what the
format of the work is.  I.e. a standard patch to specfile and file-level
diff of SOURCES I would presume?

I hope that explanation of why I personally haven't helped more is of
help.  And I admit it may still all be some rationalization where KS's
vision of reality is still valid, and I may not have really done any
work even if all those concerns were taken care of.  Dunno...

-dmc