[CentOS-devel] I want to help

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com
Mon Apr 4 17:46:47 UTC 2011

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 10:50 AM, Marian Marinov wrote:
>> I want to offer hardware (build servers) and I also want to volunteer time for
>> cleaning up packages.
>
> Because this comes up again and again and again I just want to quantify
> that buildservers are only helpful if you can ship them out to be
> located next to or very near the existing setup. Unless the resource
> itself can be assured to / with the same level of trust as the existing
> platform, the chances of that resource getting used are very slim.
>
> Consider this: would you run packages that were built on $random site,
> with little or zero assurance of what, why and who has access to the
> machines ? I wont :)
>
> Welcome to some of the strange and wonderful issues that are needed to
> be dealt with on a regular basis in .centos.org
>
> - KB

I would certainly want the final builds done on an "official" build
server, but there's no reason there can't be "extended" build servers
that contributors could use to test build packages to find problems.
Once problems are found, patches could be generated and then vetted,
applied, and built on the official trusted servers.

// Brian Mathis