[CentOS-devel] submit a RPM

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Apr 6 12:58:44 UTC 2011

On 04/06/2011 12:49 PM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
>> The process is still under review really, and ideally we would only want
>> to accept packages from people where they are a part of ( or have commit
>> access ) to the upstream for the code.
> If I undertand well, package it must be in upstream ie RH to be
> included in the official repo distro, mustn't it?

No. It means that we want the actual project commit'ers to get involved.
eg. if mariadb was to be added into extras, someone who is a developer
with commit access in the mariadb project would need to get involved.
Similarly for postgresql, if there was to be a postgresql 9 in
centosplus, it would need to come through with some level of 'stake
ownership' from within that project. These are just two examples,
hopefully clearing up the situation. If there is still some confusion,
ask and I will try again.

In many cases, packagers are not close enough to the upstream project to
ensure continuity and sync in both directions. Also, there already exist
quite a few resources for 'packagers' to get involved into.

imho, and this is my personal opinion, not that of the CentOS Project :
we should only open up to packager driven[1] rpm contributions if there
is a real problem to be solved by doing that.

- KB

[1]: as opposed to project driven contributions ( of-course, in many
cases its the same person or the same set of people. But creating that
clear differentiation is important in this context )