[CentOS-devel] WebSite V2 - progress

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 23:13:51 UTC 2011

On 4/18/2011 5:47 PM, Ralph Angenendt wrote:
> Am 19.04.11 00:29, schrieb Les Mikesell:
>
>> What's the point of having anything but a wiki, forum, and bug tracker?
>>    Is someone with special expertise going to create things that most
>> people won't know how to change?  Is there content that can't live in a
>> wiki?
>
> Yes. Our wiki at least cannot import things like RSS feeds. Same goes
> for sponsor's banners and a few other things.

What the current wiki can/can't do shouldn't be a basis for ruling out
using some wiki that does what you want or that has a plugin mechanism
where you can add that functionality.  For example this (very large)
list might cover your needs:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension_Matrix/AllExtensions

I have more experience with twiki myself but don't think I'd want to run
it on a public site.

> Plus: I have no idea if the wiki can keep up with the hit rates the web
> site has.

So how do you know that about the other products being considered?  If
you use some other large site using it as evidence, isn't wikipedia good
enough?  Besides, a reverse-proxy with squid/apache/nginx can fix any
load problem you might have with stuff that looks mostly-static from the
viewer's side.

> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2011-February/006674.html
> has a few more reasons.

It's not clear there as to why the content proposed for the 'website'
wouldn't be just as appropriate on a wiki (assuming different access
permissions), making one less thing to maintain.  I could see why you
might want one very pretty home page without the wiki style, but you
don't need a whole CMS for that and all of the links could lead into the
wiki sections.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com