[CentOS-devel] progress?

Nick Bright nick.bright at valnet.net
Fri Feb 18 16:27:06 UTC 2011

On 2/18/2011 10:17 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:
> Mine too. The same things have been discussd for the past 4 years, and
> the same arguments have been used. And in 2011 it still takes months to
> release a new (minor !) release.
>
> More than 2 months have passed since the release of RHEL5.6. Everyone
> running CentOS 5 did not have security updates for 71 (!) days and
> counting...
>
> Considering that releases are 6 months apart, 2 months without security
> updates means CentOS 5 users have no security updates 33% of the time.
> (Luckily some releases shipped less than 2 months after RHEL !)
>
> Calling me a baby is probably the easiest approach to the problem.
>
> PS Looking back, CentOS 5.3 took 2 months, and CentOS 4.8 even took 3
> months to be released. CentOS 6.0 is a new time low with a delay of more
> than 3 months, but without harming its userbase ;-)

Nobody should take this as criticism of the CentOS team, I appreciate
what they do; but I am curious:

What would it take to enhance the system to a point that the maximum
delta between upstream release and CentOS release would be, for example,
no more than three weeks?

Is it a compute power issue?
Is it a manpower issue?
Is it a work flow efficiency issue?

I think it's obvious from the reactions of the community at this point,
that the majority of uses are not satisfied with the delta between
upstream release and CentOS release - just look at this thread for
proof, or go search the forum for "centos6".

Again, please don't read this as criticism. It's a simple question of
"how can it be improved?"

---
- Nick Bright
   Network Administrator