[CentOS-devel] progress?

Larry Vaden vaden at texoma.net
Sat Feb 19 12:34:31 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 4:17 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> For example, here is a problem that I had to solve for 4.9 yesterday.
> There is a hidden build requirement that the package
> gnome-volume-manager requires perl-XML-Parser to be in the mock build
> root for the package to build properly.  This is NOT called out in the
> SRPM.  We need to add it to the tree to build this package ... BUT, we
> do not modify the SRPM to make this happen, we instead modify the build
> root, and submit a BUG upstream for them to potentially fix this package.

Johnny,

Although one can read on this list that you are no longer with the
CentOS Team, we are glad to hear that you are still on the CentOS
Team.

Is what you describe above what Lamar describes on this list as sniggles?

What do you think is the root cause of such things @ the upstream?

kind regards/ldv/vaden at texoma.net

Following Troy's style manual,

p.s.  In an effort to rid our site of proprietary backup for Windows
boxen in favor of OSS backup, we ran into more or less the same thing
with rsync (compilation errors in the BSD environs for revs > 2.6.8).
This _may_ explain why RH5 uses rsync-2.6.8.