[CentOS-devel] progress?

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Sun Feb 20 15:09:57 UTC 2011

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> On 02/20/2011 07:17 AM, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
>> On 02/20/2011 06:27 AM, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>>> And casts a magic spell to find those instructions. I'm looking
>>> through logs and wiki.centos.org, and having *real* difficulty finding
>>> them. In particular, the bootstrapping configurations necessary to
>>> build CentOS 6 from scratch on a CentOS 5.x machine seem missing,
>>> especially access to the testing SRPM's that have already been patched
>>> to work in a non-RHEL environment.
>>>
>>> Or do you see something I don't?
>> I do. :)
>> Use for the build root the rhel6b2 binaries available on ftp.redhat.com
>> and the configs from the mock package available in EPEL-6.
>> There is no magic. Really ( At least for 98% of the work.)
>
> The beta tree is here (binary and source files):
>
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/beta/
>
> You will also find the fedora 12 binary and source files necessary:
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/12/Fedora/
>
> http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/updates/12/

Cool. Which are you using, by preference? That information is
unpublished, near as I can tell, and would help my efforts.

> We (CentOS Project) need to perform lots of things on files that we
> would "Distribute".  (Trademark stripping, etc.).  We will not
> distribute our working files to try can get CentOS 6 built, as we have
> not and do not intend to perform the actions on them which would allow
> us to release them.  That would mean rebuilding and vetting not only
> CentOS-6 but all those other trees too.

Does it? Are you concerned about trademark issues, or just lack the
time to slip them into something like a "git" repository which would
be clonable and thus accessible? Do you want help getting those into a
decent git accessible structure so this can be shared, maybe in a
future release?