[CentOS-devel] progress?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Feb 22 18:29:39 UTC 2011

On 02/22/2011 12:16 PM, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On 02/20/2011 02:16 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>   If I publish it, then that helps other people
>> like Oracle or whomever, build the upstream product.  Have any of you
>> considered what potential impact the CentOS relationship with the
>> upstream provider might suffer if we started publishing things that are
>> negative?
>
> Oh.  My previous comment was sent before I noticed this other branch of
> this thread on the archives.  Having read this now, my suggestion of
> publishing 'BRPM' type files would not make sense, if a goal of the
> CentOS project is to prevent potential downstreams (i.e. spins).
>
> That's not open-source-cool in my book, but I didn't mean to be tilting
> at windmills on this list.
>
> -Bill

We have no issue with people rebuilding things ... we just do not think
it is our responsibility to hold their hand.  We provide more
information than any other project out there.

We have provided scripts that use mock, we have provided rpmmacros, we
have provided buildsys-build files, we published an ISO build script and
a distro build script, we publish every SRPM (including all our
changes), we published a list of all the hidden build requirements on
the mailing list.

I am available for consulting if you would like for me to install things
or build things for you (you being anyone on the list who wants to pay
for my services).