[CentOS-devel] progress?

jean-sebastien Hubert jsh at interlug.net
Tue Feb 22 18:50:40 UTC 2011

Le 22/02/2011 22:36, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
> On 02/22/2011 10:56 AM, Thomas Bendler wrote:
>> 2011/2/21 Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>:
>>> [...]
>>> I've read through most of this thread and its all just random stuff
>>> recycled over and over with zero real value add. You seem to have
>>> something in your mind as to how a process might work, and are
>>> completely unable to comprehend any deviations from there. I am no sure
>>> if there is any other way to put this across.
>> With other words, what I think that is perfect is really perfect,
>> other people are just time consuming idiots without technical
>> knowledge. And they don't contribute to the project so they have to
>> shut up. Did you ever asked yourself why so less people contribute to
>> the CentOS project? Maybe it has something to do with the CentOS
>> project and not with the fact that are only idiots out there who can't
>> contribute to the project.
>>
>> Kind regards, Thomas
>>
>> P.S.: I set up a mock/script based infrastructure as a proof of
>> concept for a fork in less than four weeks from scratch, so it can't
>> be so much rocket science to get C6 up and running if enough people
>> sort out the remaining build problems.
> Well Thomas ... when you have a thousand server infrastructure to serve
> 6-8 million unique computers with every update then you would rival the
> CentOS project.
>
> 10-15 people on a mailing list continually whining is one thing ... 8
> million machines served is the real thing.

Hello,

But Thomas is not doing things different from Centos; rpmbuild --rebuild
(using mock and koji of course) ...
There is "no magic sauce" as you said, Centos is only rebuilding srpms from
RHEL.
So install rpms on One or Millions of computers is the same, after all
RH does
the hard work (RH and the "million" of programmers that contribute to
software under GPL/LGPL/... license).

ps: long live to puppet / fabric (http://docs.fabfile.org/0.9.4/) ; One,
One thousand, millions ..;)

Regards