[CentOS-devel] progress?

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Wed Feb 23 17:19:38 UTC 2011

Les Mikesell wrote:

> Even if no one can come up with a way to extrapolate the dependencies
> from the RHEL binary, the task seems like something that would scale
> with more build machines and more people to stage the trial-and-error
> builds.  And if those people aren't part of the trusted few, they could
> send back the info needed to duplicate the build.  But, I suppose you'd
> need to export hash fingerprints or something similar to test against
> for people who don't have access to the official RHEL binaries.

I agree it would go faster, but core of the team would have to hold new
arrivals by the hand most of the time. This is not practical in the
middle or on the start of the rebuild process.

I do not believe that absolutely all interested should be included in
the rebuild process, just ones with existing packaging experience, to
avoid havoc.

My suggestion would be that once versions 4.9, 5.6 and 6.0 are out core
team creates environment exactly as is now for 6.0, and take some
apprentices under their wing, people with enough existing knowledge, and
   drop them head first into rebuilding process (with proficiently
documented process), so they can select candidates for additional
rebuild members and train them. Questions candidates would ask would be
used to fill the documentation and FAQ for rebuilding process, weather
it is for public or "private" use.

Ljubomir