[CentOS-devel] wallpapers

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Tue Jan 4 21:28:32 UTC 2011

Hello,
The backgrounds are in the redhat-logo's rpm.
The license for that rpm is "Copyright 1999-2010 Red Hat, Inc.  All
rights reserved."
The description of that rpm says
"Licensed only for approved usage, see COPYING for details."

So, is it approved for CentOS or RedHat?
Here is what it says in COPYING

"Red Hat®, Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and the Shadowman logo, either
separately or in combination, are hereinafter referred to as "Red Hat
Trademarks" and are trademarks of Red Hat, Inc., registered in the
United States and other countries.

The redhat-logos package ("Package") contains images that are or include
the Red Hat Trademarks and Red Hat trade dress.  You are granted the
right to use the Package only during the normal operation of software
programs that call upon the Package.  No other copyright or trademark
license is granted herein.

NO WARRANTY...." And goes on about how it is provided "as is"

So, can we use the background or not?

These backgrounds don't contain any reference to RedHat, or the
Shadowman Logo, so it clearly doesn't fall under the Trademark law.

But the second paragraph talks about "Trade Dress", and I had to look
that up.

http://www.copylaw.com/new_articles/tradedress.html

"Under trademark law, the total commercial image of a product is known
by the term "trade dress." Trade dress refers to the manner in which a
product -- or place of business -- is "dressed up" to go to market."

So, in my opinion, I believe the RedHat backgrounds fall under the
"Trade Dress" law.  They are the way that RHEL is "dressed up" to go to
market.

So in short.  I believe both Scientific Linux and CentOS have to change
the default background.

Troy Dawson