[CentOS-devel] irc meeting today re: 5.6/6.0

Zenon Panoussis oracle at provocation.se
Sun Jan 16 00:23:09 UTC 2011

On 01/15/2011 03:18 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Based on feedback, we seem to have general consensus that getting 5.6/
> to mirrors first is the way to go. However, this does not mean that work
> on 6.0 will stop, we will try and get the isos ready - but we might need
> to give the mirrors a bit of a break before releasing those as well.

The point that 5.6 is more urgent than 6.0 for existing installations has
been made very convincingly.

The point that 6.0 is far more useful than 5.6 for new installations has
also been made convincingly.

Apart from de-branding, building, QA and seeding, it also takes manpower
and time to adjust anaconda and to create and test ISOs.

Putting all this together, I think we'd get the better of both worlds both
from a manpower and from a mirror update bandwidth perspective, by

1. releasing the 5.6 repo,
2. releasing all of 6.0,
3. releasing the 5.6 ISOs,

in this order.

Please let me know if/how I can help. I can afford to put one box and 10-20
hours weekly into this for the next few weeks.