[CentOS-devel] ksplice and CentOS

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Thu Jul 21 23:37:16 UTC 2011

On Jul 21, 2011, at 7:29 PM, Brandon Ooi wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Sam Wilson <kahn at the-mesh.org> wrote:
> I too am sad to see KSplice gobbled up by (evil corporation here). Though I am in the same boat as Khusro in that I probably can't really contribute to active development I am sure I have some hardware that can be dedicated to testing and QA for a KSplice fork.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sam
>
> I would not be surprised if we see RH do something about this. They contribute the most to linux development of anybody. Anybody know someone at RH to see if there are plans? Possibly done on the Fedora side and trickle down to RHEL/CentOS?

Um, does it matter what Oracle and RedHat are doing?

This is Centos, most users are here because they cannot afford to
pay for either RedHat or Oracle product for whatever reason.

To paraphrase a recent LWN quote-of-the-week (and not from smooge ;-)

	If you're not paying for THEIR product, you ARE their product.

If you would like be "product", while have fun!

Meanwhile if splice is useful and their is interest, you're gonna have
to generate a kernel patch stream somehow in order to make splice
Just Work (and continue to work) in CentOS.

73 de Jeff