[CentOS-devel] ksplice and CentOS

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Jul 22 00:45:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 07:37:16PM -0400, Jeff Johnson wrote:
>> Um, does it matter what Oracle and RedHat are doing?
>
> Only to the extent that without Red Hat, CentOS doesn't exist! :-)

umm ... CentOS is of course an outgrowth sub-project from
cAos [admittedly, the poster child success story], which
pre-dated RHEL rebuilds, just fine, thank you very much.
Founded on discussions of:
 	What if there was no Red Hat Linux

Spinning stabilized enterprise grade distributions is largely
a matter of a willingness to lag in a stable branch, and to
backport security matters as needed.  Boring stuff

The FOSS community predated the upstream's product that CentOS
rebuilds sources of ... and the wells of those sources
(although partially fed from efforts of the upstream) will
continue if the upstream did not exist ...

In IRC today, someone wandered into the main channel looking
for a 'later and greater' ImageMagic ... looking at the logs,
it took me a bit under 40 minutes (1731 to 1809) to 'freshen'
this leaf node package and all BR and R dependencies to a very
recent product

How many leaf node package fruit does one really need and use
daily, anyway?  In the most recent 1000 lines of my history on
the laptop I am composing this on, I find:

$ history | awk {'print $2'} | sort | uniq -c | sort -n | wc

is only 85 commands.  and most of those are unremarkable or
part of bash, or local scriptlets

       2 display
       2 for
       2 kill
       2 ks
       2 lynx
       2 /sbin/ifconfig
       2 su
       2 thunar
       2 /usr/bin/firefox
       2 wc
       3 echo
       3 grep
       3 lynxdump
       3 ./maple-ide
       3 scp
       3 unzip
       4 eject
       4 pwd
       4 tail
       5 chmod
       5 convert
       5 history
       5 which
       6 arduino
       6 ./README
       6 rpm
       7 firefox-charlie
       8 gen-pw.sh
       8 man
       9 ps
      11 cp
      15 cat
      18 mv
      18 rm
      19 xpdf
      22 rpmbuild
      27 sudo
      28 backup-home-to-net.sh
      31 mkdir
      38 wget
      41 startx
      46 less
      70 joe
     128 ssh
     139 ls
     190 cd
    1000    3111   26659

[I see ImageMagic primitives in that list a couple of times;
'joe' and 'xpdf' are gone from C6, but it does not matter, as
I've built them locally for a long time to meet my
habituations]

It might not be comfortable for a few months if we needed to
live like that transition of no RHL to something, but not the
end of the world for people not addicted to the latest and
greatest

-- Russ herrold