[CentOS-devel] Status of CentOS 5 for the i586?

Leon Fauster leonfauster at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 3 09:44:55 UTC 2011

Am 03.06.2011 um 11:26 schrieb Timothy Lee:
>  On 3/6/2011 12:10, Cody Jackson wrote:
>> Hi all;
>>
>> What's the status of the CentOS 5 for the i586 project?
>
> Umm.  No one is officially working on it, as far as I know.
>

>> I was experimenting with my AMD K6-II machine today. By following the
>> notes at http://wiki.centos.org/TimothyLee/centos5_i586_patch and the
>> link above, I managed to compile an i586 kernel and deploy it on the
>> K6 machine, which is now running C5 happily behind me with about 76MB
>> of RAM. I wrote down the steps I took and the problems I encountered,
>> which I need to organize a bit.
>
> I'm glad that my notes helped you.  I was hoping to migrate some i586
> machines from Fedora 7 to CentOS 5, but never quite got around to that.
> Perhaps you could organize your steps into a wiki page -- even though
> there is no official support, at least the steps will be there if
> someone else is interested in trying them out.

Thats quite interesting - i am starting playing with an ALIX.2D13 system now
and was looking into centos 5 support. The cpu is a 500 MHz AMD Geode LX800.
So far my informations, they do not support the i686 instruction set. They
are some hardware encryption support but corresponding kernel patches must
be applied.

Your informations will for sure be very helpful.

Cheers
Leon