[CentOS-devel] CentOS-[56] Continous Release

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Tue Jun 21 13:02:12 UTC 2011

On 06/21/2011 02:39 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 06/03/2011 12:31 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> The CR rpms will only be available by making a manual choice on the
>> machines, so people need to opt-in rather than opt-out. So mass rollout
>> should not happen.
> I want to push this conversation a bit further and see if we can get
> agreement and some ideas on potential courses of exactly how that opt-in
> would work as we get ready for 5.7 in the near future, and 6.0 ->  6.1 ->
> 6.1+updates in the more immediate future.
>
> One option we have is to make the CR repo available on only a few
> machines, isolate those from regular mirror.c.o taffic and push a
> centos-release-CR rpm that people need to manually install on their
> machines to 'opt in'.
so far so good...

>   We could then obsolte: that centos-release-CR rpm
> with the centos-release that comes down the road when the isos/ are in
> place and the new release announced.
I am not sure I get this part. Since the packages are not changed ( I
presume the NEVR remains the same when the packages are moved from CR to
"stable"), how would this "obsolete" process happen ? I am used to the
fedora / fedora epel "testing" phase which is basically
- packages are first pushed to a testing repo which is not enabled by
default on client computers
- after a) enough people test and validate a package or b) enough time
has passed since the package was pushed to the testing-repo  the package
can be moved to the stable repo