[CentOS-devel] Updates from today

Paulo Martinez martinezino at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 10 18:15:36 UTC 2011

Am 10.03.2011 um 18:20 schrieb Zenon Panoussis:

>> But, you need to understand that the list is fluid.  If a package
>> does
>> not build because of a hidden build requirement, that is a bug.  You
>> have to figure it out to get it to build, but the next time you build
>> that package you will likely NOT need to change the build root as
>> they
>> will likely have fixed the issue by then.
>
> Over the years I have reported a number of these myself upstream and
> my
> experience is varied. Sometimes they fix things, sometimes not. Having
> a summary of all quirks that were needed to build a release makes
> building
> the next one so much easier.

Clearly a misunderstanding. You can't define a fixed process.
The process will be renewed everytime. This has different
reasons. The util-linux/gettext example is one of them and
this one will disappear in future releases.

I understand that you try to get the facts compiled. But this
would not really help for future releases, compared to an
understanding of the underlying concept that allows you to
handle new facts.

PM