[CentOS-devel] Updates from today

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Mar 10 22:53:06 UTC 2011

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, R P Herrold wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Dag Wieers wrote:Hughes:
>> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>
>>> Not sure where this is going.
>>
>> This information is not available from anywhere else. So only Karanbir,
>> Tru and you have access to the signing keys.
>
> This information as to who particularly has access to the
> signing keys has intentionally never been discussed publicly.
> I would prefer the cyber-ninja's did not break into my
> safe-deposit box at the bank to steal the media bearing the
> 'end of the world' backup copies and pass-phrases
>
> Is there a purpose to mis-reading and mis-stating what was
> said, Dag?

I leave the mis-reading and mis-stating up to you. Since a few months I am
genuinly interested in the CentOS process. Mind you, despite my
background, I never was involved in those details.

> You made the choice to leave and close a door, Dag, subsequent
> to having been recruited in part by me and others to be on a
> track that would have ended up in you being a signer and
> builder for record for CentOS
>
> That is over, and that door will not re-open

Russ, thank you for bringing this up, as irrelevant as it is today. I'll
ignore this vile attempt to shut me up by trying to discredit me. It can
only remind me that leaving was the right thing to do.

Besides, you mis-characterize my involvement. I never even asked for or
attempted to have any powers other than helping with promotion, wiki and
community-matters. I have too many other responsibilities already.

But, all this is irrelevant today, although what I wrote in my
resignation-letter still holds today:

-----
-snip-

However a recent incident showed yet again a lack of trust and
appreciation and made me question my involvement. There are also a few
reasons that I consider internal kitchen and therefore will not be
disclosed, but the project lacks leadership, shows poor communication,
little transparency and fails to engage more people from the community
(eg. great need for improvements, plenty offerings, but slow or little
acceptance).

I never had any responsibility in producing the base CentOS distribution
and therefore my decision will not have any effect on the final product
that people are using. That what makes CentOS a good Linux distribution
with, quite possibly, the largest installed Linux base.

And while I may no longer be part of the CentOS team, I still am an avid
CentOS user and advocate. And hope that the team (of which I consider many
good friends) can turn this around for the benefit of its community,
including myself :-)

-snip-
-----