[CentOS-devel] Updates from today

Zenon Panoussis oracle at provocation.se
Thu Mar 10 23:27:19 UTC 2011

On 03/10/2011 11:13 PM, R P Herrold wrote:

> The suggestion by a relative newcomer that the project would
> fall apart from a lack of depth or interest of developers,
> seems to me to be just another troll

Are you referring to me? If so, that's not what I said; not that
the project will fall apart and certainly not from a lack of depth
or interest of developers. What I said was that the project would
benefit from more openness and from the involvement of more people,
and that a broader involvement would also give better guarantees
for the project's long-term future.

As for trolling, let me remind you of this in case you forgot:
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-July/079767.html
Inflammatory language and name-calling does not make your
argument; it breaks it.

In any case, this whole discussion is moving in rather inconsistent
ways. I mean, you can't at the same time (a) boast serving 8 million
unique machines worldwide, (b) be 4 months and counting behind
upstream, (c) be so protective of your project that you just dodge
offers for help and (d) two months later also claim that the project
has all the manpower that it needs (see links at the bottom). Any
one or two of these statements would be valid, but not all four at
the same time.

Apart from that, it is completely up to the owners of the project
how they want to organise it and manage it, but it is also common
knowledge that openly managed projects thrive more than closed
ones. I'm not talking about democracy here, let alone consensus;
I'm just talking about creating coherence and involvement by
letting people know what is happenning, how, when and why and
by letting them contribute instead of brushing them off. To quote
from the link above: "Please do not kill CentOS through your fear
of shared management of the project". Please take a good look at
the signatures below that statement.

With that said, I don't see much of a point in carrying this
discussion further. If a discussion is not constructive, then
it better not be at all.

(a) http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2011-February/006935.html
(b) http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/2010/new-standard.html
(c) http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2011-January/006558.html