[CentOS-devel] enlightenment project seeks package maintainer!

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 13:32:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 2:35 AM, Mike Blumenkrantz <mike at zentific.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a developer with the enlightenment project (http://enlightenment.org). We
> have just recently released the 1.0 version of our libraries, known as the EFL,
> and are now attempting to find people on various distros to help spread the
> word. Currently, we have packagers working on Arch, Debian, Gentoo, Ubuntu
> (debian), and a number of others, and we would like to add CentOS to this list!

[ I'm a a very occasional contributor, not one of the core  maintainers. ]

Because CentOS is a rebuild of "a famous upstream vendor's published
source code", namely RHEL, you should probably pursue that as a Fedora
project to get that upstream vendor's testing and support and
potential inclusion in their published source code.

In the meantime, you or any maintainer could test and submit the
packages to RPMforge and the work of very helpful people like Dag
Weiers, who subscribes to this list

> Within our community, we have people who work on .spec files already, and such
> files already exist for all the libraries that we would like to see in CentOS.
> The spec files are in the toplevel directory of each project, and I will link
> them here for easy viewing:
>
> https://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/tags/ecore-1.0.0/ecore.spec.in
> https://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/tags/e_dbus-1.0.0/e_dbus.spec.in
> https://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/tags/edje-1.0.0/edje.spec.in
> https://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/tags/eet-1.4.0/eet.spec.in
> https://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/tags/eeze-1.0.1/eeze.spec.in
> https://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/tags/efreet-1.0.0/efreet.spec.in
> https://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/tags/eina-1.0.0/eina.spec.in
> https://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/tags/embryo-1.0.0/embryo.spec.in
> https://svn.enlightenment.org/svn/e/tags/evas-1.0.0/evas.spec.in
>
> There is one minor cleanup that must be made on our end in the ecore spec to
> use c-ares, but other than that they should work fine. Obviously they may not
> meet your QA regulations, so changes will be made where necessary.

> Note that this is NOT E17. These are only the underlying libraries which have
> been in development for the last 10 years and have recently reached 1.0.

It's not clear, to me at least, that this is really a "CentOS" issue.
Is anyone building this upstream for Fedora? If it gets into Fedora,
it's got a shot at getting into EPEL, which gets signnicant support
and attention from "that upstream vendor(tm)".