[CentOS-devel] Building help

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 00:48:29 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Jason Pyeron <jpyeron at pdinc.us> wrote:
> We would like to help, I have many questions as to how we can help, but I will
> start with our agenda.
>
> For 4 and 5 (and soon 6)
>
> java
> apache
> tomcat
> php
> bind
> dhcp
> subversion
> And their dependencies.

[ I'm not one of the CentOS core maintainers, just an admin who's
worked with all of these. ]

None of those are going to move ahead of "the upstream vendors"
releases in the primary CentOS codeline, we can be sure. For Java, I'd
pursue OpenJDK and testing the latest RedHat available SRPM's for
that, and avoid the other packages. (Oracle and RedHat have been
collaborating on OpenJDK).

For Tomcat, if you need Tomcat 1.7, you need to hop to JPackage. (I've
published bits there to make it more RHEL and CentOS 5 compatible, ask
if you're curious.) Otherwise, you can build and test the SRPM in the
upstream mirror sites.

For Bind, bind97 is in the upstream vendor's mirror sites as SRPM and
can be tested. I've not played with it.

For PHP, php53 is in the upstrem vendor's mirror sites as SRPM's and
can be built and tested. I already did that one.

For DHCP, minor updates are available and can be built and tested.

For Subversion, subverision-1.6.11 is in  the upstrem vendor's mirror
sites as SRPM's and can be built and tested. I already did that one.

Most of these updates are awaiting the CentOS 5.6 release.