[CentOS-devel] Why not a fusion between CentOS and SL?

carlopmart carlopmart at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 10:43:53 UTC 2011

On 03/23/2011 11:17 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Compare those 2 sentances:
>> "The base SL distribution is basically Enterprise Linux, recompiled from
>> source.
>
> -snip-
>
>> "Q. What is Scientific Linux?
>>
>> A. Scientific Linux is in essence, a commercial enterprise linux
>> distribution, recompiled.

Please don't cut the paragraph where you're interested. Add:

Our main goal for the base distribution is to have everything compatible
with Enterprise, with only a few minor additions or changes. An example
of of items that were added are Alpine, and OpenAFS.

> and compare it with this statement:
>
> "CentOS conforms fully with the upstream vendors redistribution policy
> and aims to be 100% binary compatible. (CentOS mainly changes packages
> to remove upstream vendor branding and artwork)."

Both statements says the same with different words ... SL says
"compatible" too, like CentOS ...

--
CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com