[CentOS-devel] Why not a fusion between CentOS and SL?

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 24 16:57:01 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 15:15 +0200, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:
> > Also note that you can't just 'yum update' from those SL alpha versions to the
> > final release, so even if CentOS did ship alpha/beta versions it wouldn't make
> > life that much easier.  On the other hand it would be nice if yum knew enough to
> > do that - or to understand different repositories and be able to always update
> > from the same source or be told when to switch and reinstall.
> the new yum ( in fedora ) knows that, basically it prefers to install
> from the same repo from where you already have stuff.

 If it's the feature I think you are talking about, it is also in
RHEL-5/CentOS-5. But it only alters install (actually just changes the
behaviour of compare_providers¹).
 AFAIK that doesn't solve the entire set of problems that Les/Dag want
solved.

 Adding more logic based on "repoid of the installed package" is
somewhat problematic, due to anaconda using different repoids and the
fact there are a number of "repos" in the wild which are just URLs (so
clients have semi-random repoids).

 The known "plans" atm. are more of the "make the priorities plugin suck
less" variety, than to add vendor/buildtime/repoid/etc. directly into
update calculations.

¹ http://yum.baseurl.org/wiki/CompareProviders