[CentOS-devel] Why not a fusion between CentOS and SL?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Mar 24 20:13:12 UTC 2011

On Thursday, March 24, 2011 02:40:59 pm Jeff Johnson wrote:
> But priority in the "real world" of multiple repositories is too arbitrary
> and not based on intrinsic details like dependency closure and difficult
> to administer reliably:
> 	 Who *exactly* chooses the priority? What criteria are the basis?

Well, Jeff, it partially goes all the way back to a subject related to a discussion you and I had years ago, in Red Hat 6.1/6.2 timeframes, of why PostgreSQL database data upgrades couldn't be done in %pre, %install, %post, or %postun scriptlets.  We had been talking about the anaconda chroot and some of the deficiencies of that chroot and how the environment wasn't stable enough to do the ambitious things I wanted to do, and you made a statement along the lines that all RPM knows is packages; it doesn't know squat about distributions, just packages.

Substitute repositories for distributions, and you have today's situation.  RPM itself doesn't care where a package gets its dependencies from, just that they're satisfied.

I'm going to have to look up that e-mail, because I know I kept it....and I'm fairly certain it was you, but it might have been someone else, might have even been Nottingham.

> And freshrpms was wonderful and Matthias is truly a gentleman, his involvement
> is missed.

Yes, it is.

> But everyone moves on to other interests than Linux eventually.

Indeed.  If it weren't my 'daily driver' OS I might not still be around these parts.