[CentOS-devel] Help with LiveCD for 6.0

Charles Polisher cpolish at surewest.net
Tue May 24 14:57:56 UTC 2011

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 05/24/2011 02:23 AM, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> >> http://qaweb.dev.centos.org/qa/node/65
> > I can/will help. What is needed?
>
> thanks for stepping up.

Ditto that!

<snip>

> A while back we did a short survey on whats the most popular things that
> people download as updates from the centos machines and the result
> basically boiled down to, it would be good to have :
>
> * C6-liveDVD as a desktop environ
>
> * C6-liveCD as a trimmed down desktop, focus on system tools, trim docs
> and other excess stuff ( I guess, use the c5 livecd script for hints)
>
> * C6-RescueLiveCD with system tools [1]
>
> And have one of those per arch
>
> [1] primary aim for this was that it could be deployed via USB media
> and/or in a PXE environ, also this does not need a
> install-from-live-media functionality. Also there might be some scope
> for this RescueLiveCD to be done away from the distro as a part of the
> cranberry project ( projects.centos.org ). If we are going to bring in
> things that are not a part of the core distro - it would certainly need
> go down that route.
>
> In terms of deliverable: it would be a kickstart and any notes needed to
> make the build happen. The actual build itself will happen inside the
> CentOS Buildsys ( and for the first time, in sync with the main distro
> build! )

A friend has always had a beef with CentOS live CD that it
hadn't provided an option for "I like it, now do a real, full
installation to the hard drive". I'm not clear as to if your
comments covered such. Is this an envisioned use-case? If not,
was this usage included in the survey? I could be talked into
further research/implementation if this is on target.

Thanks,
--
Charles Polisher