[CentOS-devel] Help with LiveCD for 6.0

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Wed May 25 03:32:57 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 4:05 PM, Gabriel Sfestarof <ronin3510 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/24/2011 11:10 PM, Phil Schaffner wrote:
>
> Having a script to
>> use yum to bring in things missing from a default desktop install, as
>> Les suggests, might be a good touch.
> I'm not sure it has to be a script. A documented step to be made upon
> restart by those who used the live cd should be like that:
>
> "Due to space/dependencies limitations some packages were forcibly
> removed to accommodate the live environment/installer.
> In order to have a seamless experience regardless for all CentOS
> instalations, live-cd users are advised/required to perform the
> following step upon first reboot:
>
> yum install @<group1> @<group2> @<groupX> && yum update"

Yes, that's safe way around it, I guess. Also, I agree that @group...
is needed - "yum reinstall ..." will only act on currently installed
packages, and we want *group* matching, correct?

> That should be pretty straightforward to any one.

If, by any one, you mean  someone minimally familiar with packages and
groups of yum-based distros. In other words *not* a shiny new user.
Wait, aren't new users a prime target for the LiveCD/DVD concept in
the first place??

> The exact group of packages to be appended to the above command will be
> known once the live-dvd packages have been agreed upon.

Yes, all the more reason for the LiveCD to *complete* the install,
either right away, or after the reboot. It also becomes virtually the
same as both the LiveDVD install *and* installs from other sources,
and that seems pretty nice...

jerry