[CentOS-devel] CentOS-[56] Continous Release

Alan Bartlett ajb at elrepo.org
Tue May 31 16:16:12 UTC 2011

On 31 May 2011 16:12, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/30/2011 6:12 PM, Alan Bartlett wrote:

>> I would certainly appreciate the updated packages that resolve
>> particular CVEs, whereas for plain bug-fixes I could wait.

> Agreed on the security-related fixes being the important ones, but I
> suspect that build-order dependencies will apply anyway and there's no
> reason to hold back working updates.  In any case, prioritizing the
> update stream ahead of work on anaconda and iso-building makes sense for
> the same reasons 5.6 was pushed ahead of 6.x work.  It's just bad for
> everyone to leave known security vulnerabilities on currently running
> machines.  Personally, I'd consider that important enough to make it the
> default, although in that case maybe they should go though the 'testing'
> repo first and require some large-scale feedback first.

I had given a brief thought to the build-order dependencies and
decided that if a security bug-fix could be pushed out as soon as it
could be built, I would then -- once the full point update had been
released -- perform a "yum reinstall" for all those "fast" security
fixes. A bit hazy around the edges, so I would leave the fuller
details to those greater wizards to ponder.

Alan.