[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5.7 has no centos-release-cr package

Leon Fauster leonfauster at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 15 10:08:01 UTC 2011

Am 15.09.2011 um 11:34 schrieb Marcus Moeller:
> Am 15.09.2011 03:13, schrieb Ben Galliart:
>> Following the strong recommendation on the CentOS-announce mailing list, we had added the centos-release-cr package to our kickstart for PXE based installs.  Since the release of 5.7, this kickstart fails since the centos-release-cr package can no longer be found.
>>
>> Given that there is a 5.7/cr directory, it appears the plans include having CR being an on-going convention rather than a on-time thing just for 5.7.  If I understand this correctly that CR will be used again once upstream releases 5.8, then I would like to be able to leave centos-release-cr as part of my kickstart so it is already configured for the next batch of CR updates.
>>
>> Is it possible to add centos-release-cr to the 5.7/cr sometime soon?
>
> The centos-cr repository should only be unsed during transition phase
> from one minor to another. The package will be removed once the next
> minor is release, and re-appear on next transition. (hope I said it
> right, Karan :))
>
> So the cr release package is not meant to be included in kickstart by
> default.

Well, why not - if i'm doing an installation
while the distribution is in transition phase?

The mentioned "remove" is done by the changing
symlink (eg. 5 -> 5.6 changed to 5 -> 5.7).

By doing this, the cr repo target is then changed
automagically to the new cr directory (yum/cr-repo-file
looks only for $releasever).

If so - a generic centos-release-cr-5.el5.centos rpm
would do the work (what it does already).

--
LF

By the way - the cr rpm is arch specific but that is not
necessary because the distinguishing $basearch entry.