[CentOS-devel] How to handle kABI when patching kernel

Mike Schmidt mike.schmidt at intello.com
Wed Apr 18 06:44:12 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've generated (via rpmbuild) a patched version of the latest CentoS 6.2
kernel (2.6.32-220.7.1)  with the imq patchset (
http://www.linuximq.net/patches.html), but this causes the kABI to break.
What can orshould I do about this, if anything?
What kinds of changes cause the kABI to break? Would it be reasonable to
think I might be able to fix the patch to be kABI compliant?
Is the kABI for CentOS the same as the one for the upstream RHEL version?
Should I try to patch the kABI (as Oracle does in their unbreakable linux
kernel)? What would be the procedure foir this?

I understand you can't help me with the patches or the kernel itself, but I
was hoping you might help me understand the kABI well enough that I can
handle things for there.

Thanks very much.

--
*Mike SCHMIDT