[CentOS-devel] Forums

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Wed Aug 8 19:01:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, Aug 08, 2012 at 01:51:42PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Nux! <nux at li.nux.ro> wrote:
> >
> > +1 phpBB
> >
> > Has a large user base and (I imagine) developer base. The likely
> > security issues will be promptly fixed. :-)
>
> And how many years have they been saying that?

-1 phpBB

phpBB has one of the worst track records for forum packages with regards
to security issues and they have, as Les mentioned, been promising to
"fix" the heart of the problem for many, many years now.  Quite a few
years ago I grew tired of the "phpBB security hole of the week" game,
transitioned everything to SMF, and never once looked back.  I routinely
turn down gigs that want phpBB if I am unable to convince them to go
with SMF - it's just not worth the headaches.

							John
--
Basic research is when I am doing what I don't know what I am doing.

-- Wernher von Braun (1912-1977), German-born rocket scientist,
   in an interview in the New York Times, 16 December 1957