[CentOS-devel] please add vnconfig to minimal install CD

Matthew Patton mpatton at inforelay.com
Fri Aug 17 18:29:57 UTC 2012

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 09:28:09 -0400, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>
wrote:

> On 08/17/2012 02:03 PM, Matthew Patton wrote:
>> There are a skillion shell scripts for KVM/QEMU, Xen, embedded
>> firewalls,
>> etc. that use 'vconfig' because that's how it's been done for ages.
>
> Could you point at some of these that are in wide use ?

Right now I'm mostly involved in CLoudStack but there are many people who
have written their own replacements to the (well, used to be) retarded Xen
vifbr-up scripts that shipped with Xen and KVM for many years. I'm sure
you can find lots of %pre/$post anaconda scripts that use it too. If you
Google "add a vlan to an interface" or "create kvm bridge network" I'd say
it's 99.5%+ all 'vconfig' and I have yet to see an 'ip add link' citation
in the search results.

If the attitude is "too bad, we obsoleted it, get over it" in classic
unix-snobbery fasion, fine. I'll deal. My retort to those who decided that
vconfig should be deprecated is, why not rewrite it as a shell script
wrapper around 'ip' with a nice stderr of "hey, this tool is deprecated."

--
Cloud Services Architect, Senior System Administrator
InfoRelay Online Systems (www.inforelay.com)