[CentOS-devel] please add vnconfig to minimal install CD

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Aug 17 20:30:16 UTC 2012

On 08/17/2012 07:29 PM, Matthew Patton wrote:
> If the attitude is "too bad, we obsoleted it, get over it" in classic
> unix-snobbery fasion, fine. I'll deal. My retort to those who decided that
> vconfig should be deprecated is, why not rewrite it as a shell script
> wrapper around 'ip' with a nice stderr of "hey, this tool is deprecated."

Not sure what side of the bed you got out of this morning...

The point here is : your assumption that a way to achieve something as
being missing from the minimal iso is wrong. Now if you want to have a
specific tool brought into the distro, which there is scope to do, need
to justify it. We have plenty of room on the minimal iso to add more
things in - but lets not just randomly add stuff in.

Lets leave the numbers of of your ass like '99.5% of the people use
vconfig' out. Unless you have done a survey of everyone who does vlan
configs as a matter of routine and can point us at it.

Secondly, I did google "add vlan to an interface centos" and the first 5
hits all talk about using the sysconfig scripts - which in turn use ip
and not vconfig. I didnt bother looking any further.

So, take a breath. I am sure can all understand that while there are
multiple ways of doing things, and the fact that there is historic
convention that might be at play here - lets still ensure  a tangible
reason to make the addition exists.

So with that in mind, fancy trying again ?

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219    | Yahoo IM: z00dax      | Gtalk: z00dax