[CentOS-devel] Update announcements

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon Aug 20 15:20:56 UTC 2012

On 08/20/2012 07:45 AM, Markus Falb wrote:
> On 20.8.2012 13:24, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 08/20/2012 04:50 AM, Markus Falb wrote:
>>> But it is not clear to me why there was no announcement from CentOS, at
>>> least I can not find it. I am subscribed to centos-announce and I had a
>>> look at
>>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2012-August/thread.html too.
>>

>> Correct .. both of these are branding only with no upstream announce.
>
> This implies that only "with upstream announce"-updates are announced?
> I think that CentOS should announce every update on the centos-announce
> list.

I am working on a way to do that now.  Expect the announcements soon.

The issue is, I have no way to have an index number.  I can't use the
next one or it will step on the next upstream update.  We are figuring
out how we can do this and still make it work with our upcoming
yum-security release too.

This is something that we do very infrequently, but now that we are also
going to do yum-security, it is something we need to do correctly.

I would point out that Red Hat only announces security updates on their
list, not BA's or EA's, and no one seems to have a problem with that :)