[CentOS-devel] What name would be acceptable for Desktop version of CentOS?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Jan 20 18:56:12 UTC 2012

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

> I would like to stay as close as possible to CentOS name,
> because it practically is CentOS, with third-party
> repositories enabled

You know, the CentOS project takes much care to avoid coming
'too close' to the trade marks of others ... It is just
unfriendly not to respect that effort and history, and to
consciously try to be 'as close as possible' to the mark of
another

the proposed name form will cause brand confusion in the mind
of un-careful readers who do not follow 'inside baseball'
branding issues.  It will result in 'load' coming to the
CentOS support venues, rather than the place that shipped
non-CentOS code.  When the such confused souls do show up
anyway in CentOS support venue, the load will fall on people
other than your sub-project, Ljubomir.  Is this just?

Please choose something else

my $0.02

-- Russ herrold