[CentOS-devel] Interested in IA64 build.

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu Oct 4 22:36:02 UTC 2012

On Thursday, October 04, 2012 06:14:12 PM Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Thursday, October 04, 2012 11:45:14 AM Lamar Owen wrote:
> > Ok, well, I've learned a lot since last Friday.  Especially as it pertains to circular dependencies and how to properly (hopefully) step from one release up to another.  ...
>
> And after I wrote that, I realized that I hadn't documented how I did that.  So, in this admittedly longish e-mail, I'll attempt to do that.
> I hope this post is helpful to someone; if nothing else I'm putting it in my own archive for my own reference..... :-)

Oh, forgot to mention the most important things.

I'm not targeting strict binary compatibility with upstream for this build.  If there were to be sufficient interest in an IA64 build that is binary compatible, that can be done, but that makes things that much more difficult to get right.  And being there hasn't really been any interest, I haven't been concerned with the binary compatibility issue.

Nor am I doing serious QA on these bootstrapping builds; that will happen once I'm up to 5.8 or 5.9.  So nothing in what I've written touches QA, or binary compatibility, or signing of the resulting packages, for that matter.

If I need to cross those bridges, I'll document how I crossed them.