[CentOS-devel] yum-security and CentOS-5 / 6

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Sep 25 15:47:03 UTC 2012

hi Baptiste,

On 09/25/2012 03:47 PM, Baptiste AGASSE wrote:
> Thanks you to plan to work on this point. If you need some help to implement it, maybe i could help (for example on spacewalk integration part).

yes, I do need a bit of help with this - the spacewalk part would be
cool to have working.
>> step1: get a basic set of metadata online so that people can detect if
>> an update is tag'd security, bugfix or enhancement
> That's a good starting point.

This is sort-of-working at this point, however, to be really useful we
are going to need to have the metadata done in a way that it includes
all RPMS released in the entire distro life. But, we dont store all RPMS
in the mirror.centos.org network, we only retain the latest point
release ( the amount of disk space needed for every rpm for a long
running release like CentOS-5 is prohibitive.

Keeping that in mind, its worth noting that we do have all RPMS released
in the distro on vault.centos.org ( but not including the latest release
). So what I am going to look at is making vault also contain all the
packages presently on mirror.centos.org and then build a super-repo (
for the lack of a better name ), which contains metadata for every rpm
released. And then add in the update info files needed for yum-security.

btw, if we have a working yum-security layer, would that not be all that
is needed for spacewalk? or would there be a need for anything else to
be added in ? Would that be the same for say, pulp-project as well ?

Regards

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219    | Yahoo IM: z00dax      | Gtalk: z00dax