[CentOS-devel] Interested in IA64 build.

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Mon Jan 21 17:28:38 UTC 2013

Hi Lamar,

Thanks for the update.

On 01/21/2013 04:57 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> up the space heater ^H^H^H buildhost (again, photos of the buildhost can
> be seen at http://forums.nekochan.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=16725868 ).....

Wonder what the electric bill for that is :)

> Almost all of the 5.9 GA updated/new packages are built (just a couple
> of packages are being stubborn, and those have a history of being
> stubborn, at least on IA64 and on this buildsystem; I'm using smock),

Have you looked at mockchain ?

> and I have test-updated the second Altix box to 5.9:
> CentOS release 5.9 (Final)
> Kernel 2.6.18-348.el5 on an ia64

cool

> Third-party repos are also on the plate, since there are several
> packages we need that are in either EPEL or RepoForge.  Those are
> probably higher on the list than making the build fully self-hosted, really.

One thing that you might run into is that the packagers on those repo's
would almost certainly not have been testing builds on IA64, so consider
some sort of a feedback loop : maybe even just a http interface to the
logs and status ( let apache do the listing with options indexes' turned
on ).

> But if more were interested in the IA64 build, the priorities could
> definitely change.  Given enough interest, install media would be a
> logical step, and while that is on my list of things to do, it's not

Happy to promote this build effort a bit and try to drum up support. It
would essentially boil down to : if we start it, if we promote it - are
we then in a place where we can keep the builds going over a reasonable
period of time. If the answer there is, YES, then lets start making the
noise.

w.r.t the system updates and tracking that - the buildsystem at this end
which does the i686 / x86_64 / powerpc builds is capable of triggers via
http call back. If that helps, lets set that up.

Regards,