[CentOS-devel] [Users] 6.4 CR: oVirt 3.1 breaks with missing cpu features after update to CentOS 6.4 (6.3 + CR)

Patrick Hurrelmann patrick.hurrelmann at lobster.de
Tue Mar 5 11:32:31 UTC 2013

On 05.03.2013 11:14, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:
<snip>

>>> What is libvirt's opinion about your cpu compatibility?

>>> If you do not get "Host CPU is a superset of CPU described in bla", then
>>> the problem is within libvirt.
>>>
>>> Dan.
>>
>> Hi Dan,
>>
>> virsh -r cpu-compare <(echo '<cpu
>> Host CPU is a superset of CPU described in /dev/fd/63
>>
>> So libvirt obviously is fine. Something different would have surprised
>> my as virsh capabilities seemed correct anyway.
>
> So maybe, just maybe, libvirt has changed their cpu_map, a map that
> ovirt-3.1 had a bug reading.
>
> Would you care to apply http://gerrit.ovirt.org/5035 to see if this is
> it?
>
> Dan.

Hi Dan,

success! Applying that patch made the cpu recognition work again. The
cpu type in admin portal shows again as Nehalem. Output from getVdsCaps:

   cpuCores = 4
   cpuFlags = fpu,vme,de,pse,tsc,msr,pae,mce,cx8,apic,sep,mtrr,pge,
              mca,cmov,pat,pse36,clflush,dts,acpi,mmx,fxsr,sse,sse2,
              ss,ht,tm,pbe,syscall,nx,rdtscp,lm,constant_tsc,
              arch_perfmon,pebs,bts,rep_good,xtopology,nonstop_tsc,
              aperfmperf,pni,dtes64,monitor,ds_cpl,vmx,smx,est,tm2,
              ssse3,cx16,xtpr,pdcm,sse4_1,sse4_2,popcnt,lahf_lm,ida,
              dts,tpr_shadow,vnmi,flexpriority,ept,vpid,model_Nehalem,
              model_Conroe,model_coreduo,model_core2duo,model_Penryn,
              model_n270
   cpuModel = Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X3430  @ 2.40GHz
   cpuSockets = 1
   cpuSpeed = 2393.769

I compared libvirt's cpu_map.xml on both Centos 6.3 and CentOS 6.4 and
indeed they do differ in large portions. So this patch should probably
be merged to 3.1 branch? I will contact Dreyou and request that this
patch will also be included in his builds. I guess otherwise there will
be quite some fallout after people start picking CentOS 6.4 for oVirt 3.1.

Thanks again and best regards
Patrick

--
Lobster LOGsuite GmbH, Münchner Straße 15a, D-82319 Starnberg

HRB 178831, Amtsgericht München
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Martin Fischer, Rolf Henrich