[CentOS-devel] CentOS-6.4 OpenStack testing cloud images

Alessandro Pilotti apilotti at cloudbasesolutions.com
Tue Oct 29 14:56:04 UTC 2013

Hi guys,

We are running functional tests on the CentOS OpenStack images, in particular the Hyper-V ones. The results so far are very positive.

The testing environment consists in a multi node RDO OpenStack Grizzly deployment on top of CentOS 6.4, using additional Hyper-V Server 2012 compute nodes.
We’re going to add Havana and Hyper-V 2012 R2 as well, since both have been publicly released this month.

The configuration of OpenStack RDO, including the Hyper-V nodes is entirely unattended:

https://github.com/cloudbase/unattended-setup-scripts/blob/master/configure-rdo.sh

Once RDO is up and running, the CentOS image to be tested is deployed in a fully unattended way as well:

https://github.com/cloudbase/job-runner/blob/master/jobs/openstack_create_instance.sh

As soon as the VM has been deployed on the Hyper-V compute node, we access it by using the openstack SSH key pair on the floating IP assigned by Quantum / Neutron to the instance. This means that cloud-init did its job properly and that the public key has been properly deployed.

ssh root@$FLOATING_IP

yum -y install git &&  git clone git://gitorious.org/testautomation/t_functional.git && cd t_functional && time ./runtests.sh" > t_functional_out.txt 2> t_functional_err.txt

At this point we check ?$ to make sure the tests went ok.

Here’s the output from one of the runs:

t_functional_out.txt
http://paste.openstack.org/show/50135/

t_functional_err.txt
http://paste.openstack.org/show/50137/

The test environment uses only OSS and freely available software, which means that we focus mainly on the free Hyper-V releases in order to give a change to anybody to replicate the tests without incurring into additional costs.

This is of course meant to be a starting point for a discussion on how to test those images, please let me know what do you think!

Note: to add some additional context, one of our principal activities consists in developing and maintaining the Hyper-V bits in OpenStack (Nova, Neutron, Ceilometer, etc) along with Cloudbase-Init and Crowbar.

Thanks,

Alessandro

Cloudbase Solutions
http://www.cloudbase.it