[CentOS-devel] ostree as a delivery model

Jaime Melis jmelis at opennebula.org
Thu Apr 10 14:39:03 UTC 2014

Hi guys,

Forgive me for skipping the philosophical debate ;-)

If I understand correctly ostree, it would help us in OpenNebula (and
mainly the OpenNebula users) with a couple of challenges that arise
somewhat frequently. The main advantage I see this solves, or at least
helps greatly with, is certification of both physical and virtual platforms.

First of all, by using ostree we can certify a specific CentOS OpenNebula
deployment, and it also delivers a very flexible way of upgrading the
frontend/worker nodes.

The other issue is that we've seen a growing number of people using not
only single VMs but multi-tiered services composed of multiple VMs.
Handling upgrades and certifying applications to work with those VMs is a
bit challenging, since all the images can be installed differently or can
have different versions of the rpm packages. However with ostree I can
imagine how it would be a very useful tool for service developers when
developing/deploying/upgrading these environments.

cheers,
Jaime

Jaime Melis
Project Engineer