[CentOS-devel] updating the official Docker image for CentOS

Jimmy Kaplowitz jkaplowitz at google.com
Sat Apr 12 18:55:13 UTC 2014

On Apr 12, 2014 10:31 AM, "Dusty Mabe" <dustymabe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 6:31 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org>
wrote:
> Do you think it would be beneficial to have both the point release and
> the date? For example:
>
> CentOS-6.5-20140411-x86_64-docker_01.img.tar.bz2
>
> If you start to try to compare behavior within this image to CentOS
> 6.5 installed on a normal piece of hardware it might be easier if we
> can easily look at the image file name and know what point release to
> compare it to.
>
> An argument can also be made that this might spark confusion.

It seems clearest to omit the point release if the image includes updates
through the build date, and to include the point release if each RPM is the
same version as on the ISO (aside from any Docker-specific additional RPMs
or similar directly relevant tweaks).

The current Google Compute Engine CentOS images include updates as of build
time but do not include the point release in the image name. We might
include it in the description, I forget.

- Jimmy